Sunday, November 27, 2005

Windowsill Orchids


Now that the weather has turned cold, I'm focusing on indoor tasks. To the left is Phal. equestris "Sorea Firewings" that I bought bare rooted at a plant sale from Sorea Nursery (they had come over from the States to the UK). If it looks a little odd, it is. It's a peloric form. That means an irregular shaped flower that has mutated to a form more regular. Normally I don't like that much but I love the colour and with flowers about 1 1/4 inches on a 4 inch stem it's a very neat plant. I have a small collection of orchids on various windowsills that I'm still trying to get over the shock of their move a year ago, but there are now signs that some at least are settling in. More orchids at http://markgriffiths.org/orchidindex.html

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, self that thing the moment it comes back into bloom. It would be interesting to see if it breeds true to peloria. Actually I would love to see a cross between an albino equestris peloric and this. The 2nd generation recessives would be soooooo cool!

Has this thing thrown any keikis yet?